Friday, July 6, 2012

Vauxhall's RWD Ute - VXR8 Maloo

Forget your Ferrari's, lambo's and Porsche's - 

If you want thrills and fun, may I suggest a Ute. 

OK, this translates to a pick-up in Blighty, but Ute's are something of a legend in their native Australia. Tradies have been using them for years and Holden and Ford have always had performance versions within the range. 

I had a mission to complete several tasks/challenges when I lived in Melbourne. And one of them was to drive a Ute. Fortunately, my manager at work told me I had to get from Richmond to Carlton to deliver summat and I could take "Shrek" a BA XR6 Ute in Green. 

Bloody hell, I had some fun in that! As there is no weight at the back it is very light and you can easily swing the back out. Further to that, I went up the wrong way in it, and had to reverse. Slightly heavy on the right foot meant that the rear wheels spun and the arse of the Ute bounced backwards whilst reversing. Superb!

I still don't get why Vauxhall refuse to import Commodores and Statesmans as their bigger cars in Europe. I don't buy the BS that it is not economical and there are some tweaks needed for Europe. The V6's these days are very fuel efficient, so I still do not see what the issue is. 

Vauxhall already import the HSV GTS in VXR8 guise and now look to get the HSV Maloo as well. 



The review from Autocar can be read here

What makes this so special is that there are going to be very few on British roads - and they are going to cost a mint - £51k is a lot to ask for a pick-up. And more to the point, you will not see the Opel equivalent. This is exclusively for the British market. And on the track, with the lack of weight and 6.2 LS3 under the bonnet (booming over 400bhp), this is some weapon.

I really want to see Ford UK and Vauxhall start importing these big Aussie saloons. Having driven a VE Series II for a week last year, they are fine cars and very good to drive. They would make great motorway/autobahn cruisers, and I would potentially get one over a 5-Serie or an E-Class on price.

Come on guys - you know it makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment