Sunday, March 18, 2012

Boba Fett's Slave 1 - Lego Star Wars

There are a few Star Wars Lego sets that I do regret not buying at the time. One of them was the Jabba’s Sail Barge and the Sand Crawler from Epsiodes VI and IV respectively.

I also missed out on Slave 1 the first time around as well, but grabbed the opportunity to make amends with this second release of the model. The first set 7144 was made from generic Lego bricks and released in 2000. However, this version is warmly welcomed as part of my Star Wars classic sets that I am collecting at the moment.

Firstly apologies about the pictures - taken in haste!

This model is a vast improvement over the original release under set 6209. Almost akin to teh Kenner/Parker toys original Star Wars release back in the early 1980s. Boba Fett is looking as cool as usual, and I love the way that the side wings are able to rotate when the model is picked up. That for me is great play value and really enhances the set. There is a clever bit to fire "cannons" from the middle of the ship, but in reality, I can easily see these going missing at the hands of a child.

There is not much in the way of items from The Empire Strikes Back around - most of the sets are centred around the battle of Hoth.....and the Cloud City set - which I saw and never bought and has been on eBay for £1499! - has been the closest thing a full TESB set.

I suppose that the first set was a test bed to see what Lego could do in re-creating these models and some 7 years on, the improvement is very evident.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment